Aerial view looking south from Michigan Ave at the river, 1925, Chicago.
"The brick two-story police station was built in 1904 and served the Bay View neighborhood until 1953, when a new station opened at 245 W. Lincoln Ave. The old Allis Street station was razed in 1959, and is now the location of a tot lot." — Bay View Compass
The underutilized tot lot’s city funds were recently diverted to pay for a large fenced in area for dogs and their owners.
Blues legend Buddy Guy (center) giving a trouble maker a what-for at the original location of his world famous Checkerboard Lounge, 423 E 43rd, 1982, Chicago.
A pile of rubble with settling dust stands between two large buildings. Portions of the demolished building are still attached to the adjacent structures. Likely taken in the 1920s.
The Baskin Building, State and Adams, 1947, Chicago.
There’s a CVS here now.
Irving Park and Sheridan, 1928, Chicago.
Notice Sheridan does not continue north to become Marine Dr…yet.
Cross section view of the substructure below the Marshall Field store on State Street, 1900, Chicago.
Important notes are the Caisson wells, which are the standard for most large scale architecture in Chicago and the “subway” (referenced in several past posts), a series of tunnels beneath the Loop formerly used for transportation of cargo, mail, etc…The tunnels were Chicago’s answer to New York’s subway system, meant to alleviate commercial traffic on surface streets.